Friday 2 December 2011

Friday Review-Morning Glory (2010)


First of all I would like to say that if there's one thing that Morning Glory did really well, besides casting Rachel McAdams, it was the soundtrack.  To me, a soundtrack should say, "yes I know what this movie is about" and that's exactly what it did-Natasha Bedingfield, Michael Buble, that's exactly what I expected to hear and it worked really well. Remember when Juno came out and everyone was like "oooh, indie people having sex"? Well, Juno had Piazza, New York Catcher by Belle and Sebastian in the soundtrack and I remember sitting there and fuming. I feel like someone was lazy and said "this sounds indie and indie people love Belle and Sebastian right?" I guess, they, in fact, do. But I am a huge Belle and Sebastian fan and as such I feel like they are the indie band that doesn't care at all about what they are or aren't. I don't know why exactly it made me mad, I guess it just seemed like a lazy way out and furthermore, that has to be my all time LEAST favourite Belle and Sebastian song. Anyway, I digress. Where was I? Morning Glory really does have some funny moments, Rachel McAdams is cute and perky as Becky, an executive producer hired to bring back an ailing morning show. Wa it predictable? Yes. However, even so, I wouldn't write this one off. Diane Keaton and Harrison Ford are funny and, even, sexy as warring hosts, Rachel McAdams, is, well, Rachel McAdams! She's lovely, she's funny and quirky and of course, she charms Harrison Ford, and the rest of the cast. What I didn't like was the romance between Patrick Wilson and Rachel McAdams. I do like both of these actors and certainly, Patrick Wilson is "smoking" as they say, but I don't know. One minute they were saying 'hi' in the elevator, the next minute they were ridiculously attracted to each other and the next minute they were breaking up-maybe? I don't know, it was so sporadic, it felt like a subplot that had been mostly written out. And, here's my major beef with movies of this ilk, that people just spontaneously change if someone is nice to them.  Of course we know that surly Mike (Harrison Ford) is going to turn into a charming and introspective teddy bear by the end because of Becky (Rachel McAdams) persistence and attention. And Adam (Patrick Wilson) is going to turn from a serial dater and lover of big breasts because of Becky. Ok, I know we all know it's just a movie, but this is still ridiculous. Look, lots of people have bad bosses, I do, and certainly being charming and hardworking has made him...still a bad boss. As much as I would love the selfish people I know to spontaneously start caring, I have yet to see that happen. In any case, Morning Glory is still a good, light-hearted flick, funny, and a great cast! And, I loved the pink metallic shoes Rachel McAdams wore at the end! I want a pair!
These are from Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment