Sunday 10 March 2013

10 Things I Learned From The Bachelor

I can say that before this year I had never watched a single episode of "The Bachelor" or "The Bachelorette" nor any of the other dating reality shows. However, one day I discovered an article in my Google alerts called "The Worst Moment For Feminism on The Bachelor" on The Jane Dough. I had to investigate for myself if this show was as bad as it seemed. It was. Here's what I learned.


1.) There’s something wrong with all women
Was there anything more odious that the 1 hour speacial where Sean  listed  the things wrong with the girls he sent home? I don’t even think more clarification is needed. To pour some salt in the wound , he added that these women will “eventually find someone who really loves them”.  And, the host added that  being on the bachelor is really an eye opening experience for a lot of women, who go on to find the loves of their lives. That’s right, folks! The Bachelor-helping women for 17 seasons!
2.) Double standards are still alive and well
You know, I feel wary of defending someone as, well, hateful as Tierra. I am generally of the opinion that if a girl can’t get along with other girls, she is someone to be avoided, like the plague. While I am not a fan of “slut shaming” (this term has been done right??) I also don’t think that if a girl has slept with your boyfriend/someone you’re seeing or is after him that you are contractually obligated by some feminist mantra to be friends with this/these girls. As such, Tierra’s proclamation that she doesn’t want to be friends with the girls just seems realistic to me. Sure, she could have been civil but why should she be acting thrilled to be around other girls who are dating the same guy she is? Furthermore, the other girls called her out for flirting with some guy at an airport. I guess that Sean can date and lead on as many women as he wants but heaven forbid she should date someone else too. Oh, my bad, she just flirted with him. Innocently! These girls need to shut up.
3.) A Woman is still worthless if she isn’t married by 35
Well, now that I am done with that, let’s talk about how horrible Tierra really was.  In one episode she actually called out AshLee for being in her thirties (!) and single. Tierra’s logic is that if a woman isn’t married and with kids by thirty,  there is something wrong with her.  That’s right, ladies. You better get a ring on it soon or face the fact that there is something  wrong with you! Don’t worry though, SOMEONE out there will really love you!
4.) Women are responsible for their families failings
In the hometown dates (brr) Des’s brother basically called out The Bachelor for being a playboy and not being sincere in his feelings. Look, the brother seems like an asshole (also, maybe schizophrenic ?) but was he really wrong? I mean, in every conversation with the parents, all the Bachelor said was “I’m crazy about your daughter” and “I hope I can love her”. That’s right, he hopes he can love her.  So Des’s brother was just the unlikely voice of reason and she got sent home for it. What we can learn from this is, if your family is less than perfect you are not able to be loved.
5.)Women’s only role is to love men (well one man) and support him for the rest of their natural life.Well at least according to everything AshLee said throughout the season.
6.)The only purpose of dating is marriage.According to everything The Bachelor said this season.
7.)Careers will negatively affect your marriage.
Apparently it is indeed Catherine who 'wins' this disaster but first we had to hear her sisters derisively say how she is 'driven' and might not be ready for children. The horror!  Thankfully for her and our Bachelor Sean, in the next episode she repents of her ways and says she's ready to give everything up and relocate her life for him. Phew
8.)Women need a man in their life, whether it’s dad or a husband.
According to AshLee's dad.

9.) If you’re family ‘isn’t your world’ there is something wrong with you.
How many times did we have to sit through either the women or Sean blabbing about how important family is? Now I do think family is important and I am, personally, very close with my family. However most families aren't perfect so not everyone has a close relationship with them and not all women want families. But all the front runners (brr) spent the majority of their time  (when they weren't saying how "fustrated"  there were about everything) talking about how family is everything. If you want anything else, well, don't go on The Bachelor for one thing. 
10.)If you aren’t outdoorsy, there’s something wrong with you.
Before her Muslim ways got her sent home, Sean took Selma rock climbing, even after she kind of expressed the fact that she doesn’t like rock climbing or outdoorsy things in general, she is a girly girl. Now, I like trying new things and I think that women should be adventurous. However, that doesn’t mean that women have to like rock climbing. If you don’t like something, you don’t like It, that doesn’t make you bad girlfriend material. If a guy took me rock climbing, I would be pissed to. The problem with this is that Sean basically tried to make her do something he liked rather than doing something they both would have liked. Ladies, if you’re too high maintenance, or prefer indoor things….don’t look for love mmkay?

Well, is The Bachelor as bad as I thought it was? Let me know in the comments.

images from thejanedough.com, eonline.com

1 comment:

  1. I think the Bachelor method is broken in the first place, but this surprised me. It sounds like he was looking for a woman who could cater to his desires, not a life partner.

    ReplyDelete